Here are some great projects you can try with your little ones. Remember it is all about the PROCESS…not the product with young children. Think of it as “playing with art materials” and relinquish all expectations as you know them! HAVE FUN!!!
- Thank You Cards
- Crayon Texture Rubbings
- Watercolor Fun With Salt
- Art Project Bags
- Crayon on Sandpaper Art
- Sand Art for Preschoolers
- Magic Marbleizing: Fun Art With Children
Below are great resources to browse through on the topic of ART FOR KIDS:
- Drawing Development in Children (Every parent should recognize the stages their child will go through in their creative cognitive development.) I love this chart. It is a great summary of the creative development in kids. Viktor Lowenfeld and Betty Edwards are go to gurus in the art education world.
- ART PROJECTS FOR KIDS (…amazing resource for projects of all ages!!!)
- The Artful Parent (interesting links and ideas all in one place)
- A must read interview from Julie Liddle , ''Another crucial piece of the ART IN HAND program, is helping to educate parents so that THEY understand all this talk about “process vs. product” and what it means to do art that is developmentally appropriate for young children. I really enjoy bringing this kind of mindful, creative approach to parents, opening them up to truly “hearing” what their child has to say, both verbally and nonverbally through their art.”
- Ten Cardinal Rules for Teaching Children Creative Art from Susan Striker I love her Anti-Coloring Book line for children. They are fantastic gifts! Also, read the parent resource page for great reminders.
- Preschool Arts and Crafts Activities from education.com with activities and lessons categorized by grade.
- A great resource for art materials Discount School Supplies also has a community arts and craft section for cool ideas.